Kirkheaton Post Offices

The postal service in England was first opened to the public by Charles 1 in 1635. The modern postal system began with the introduction of adhesive postage stamps in 1840. The first post office in Huddersfield was opened on New St. in 1830 moving to the much larger Northumberland street office built in 1874.

Local sub post offices slowly evolved from the 1840’s onwards but the exact date for Kirkheaton is unknown. The picture above is believed to be the first office for Kirkheaton [1]. Early postmasters were rarely shown in the census and often combined the role with their main profession, hence data is not always certain. The following information is obtained from trade directories, census, OS maps and newspaper reports.

In 1853 White’s trade directory listed a Michael France as postmaster for Kirkheaton. Believed to be a simple collection and delivery office at the junction of Bankfield lane and New road [2].

By 1857 Kelley’s directory recorded William Chambers as postmaster for Kirkheaton. He lived at 21 School lane Dalton in the house shown above. According to census data he shared his postmaster duties with his main profession of farmer and cattle doctor. In 1874 he moved to Woodlands Road (Newlands Rd) and Edward Greenwood took over as postmaster at the School lane property following his marriage to Sarah Milnes.

Two of Edward and Sarah’s children later worked for the wider post office; Frank was recorded as a Post office Clerk in 1891 and their son John Edward was a Telephone inspector in 1901. The Huddersfield Postal directory for 1900 recorded a post office at Kirkheaton with no further detail but believed to be at the Bankfield lane/ New road junction and shown as PO on the 1901 Ordnance survey map. It also records Edward Greenwood at School lane Dalton. Edward Greenwood died in 1913 after 40 years as postmaster-see obituary in the Yorkshire Post and also in the Halifax Evening Courier.

For the next 6 years the Post office was run by L Sykes at Hillside Kelley’s directory for 1917 stated Post, M,O,T and Telephone Express delivery service- L Sykes sub post master with Town sub-post office at Town bottom with Edward Pexton as sub postmaster.

In 1919 Henry Packer, head Clerk at Huddersfield Post Office became aware that the Post office on Hillside (centre of the 3 cottages) would become vacant in May 1919 and he was able to get this for Norman and Alice Hirst. Norman was appointed Kirkheaton postmaster in this rented property which had a small counter across the inner door. Alice looked after the counter and Norman looked after the two regular postmen, prepared deliveries in the kitchen and delivered telegrams. The property was rented from T W Broadbent. The Post Office served Kirkheaton, Lascelles Hall and Nettleton. In 1921 land was acquired from the Whitley Beaumont estate to build a new post office and living accommodation at 18 St Mary’s lane which opened later in the year.

Kirkheaton Post Office viewed from Stafford Hill lane -1923

Alice Augusta Hirst with her daughter Freda in 1933. Note the telephone box on the left in course of erection.

The two photographs above are courtesy of the late Freda Trigg nee Hirst.

 

 

Kirkheaton Post office circa 2010

In 1930 the first public telephone boxes were installed with one at Upperheaton and one at the bottom of Heaton Moor Road.

In anticipation of retirement Norman and Alice had a bungalow built next door in 1953.[4] After their retirement that year there was a petition by villagers to have the post office moved to the centre of the village( 500 signatures), however the Post Office ruled in favour of the existing site and in April 1953 Joyce Favez Wilson succeeded her father, Norman Hirst.

In 1964Geoffrey Neville Hailey and his wife Joyce took over the post office. They also started selling bread and a small selection of groceries for the benefit of people living in the lower part of the village. They retired in 1984 and Lynn and Michael Whitehouse took over later. Lynn and Michael retired as postmaster February 2019 leaving the village with no office.

A planned takeover by the owner of the corner shop at the junction of Town Road and St Mary’s lane never materialised and that shop also closed. For a while the village was served by a part time mobile post office before a mini office was opened at the Costcutter shop on Moorside road.

JBT Jan 2024 (revised June 2024)

  1. Situated at 21 School lane Dalton, the first house below the former School house. The boundary between Huddersfield County Borough and Kirkburton UDC is clearly shown on the cast iron marker.

2.White’s directory for 1853 states postmaster was Michael France- The only information for a Michael France[1818-1866] is a joiner and cabinet maker on Town rd near shop lane. This location is again briefly mentioned in 1900 and 1917.

3.Kelly in 1857 states William Chamber. In 1861 aged 44 [widower born Lepton] he was living at School lane Dalton, farmer, cattle doctor and postmaster. He can be followed on Ancestry

  1. Notes based on discussion with Vilma Clayton nee Wilson, March 2017 and based on the family history of Norman and Alice Hirst.
Tags for this article:

Recent Archive Posts

Recent Posts

Kirkheaton Jossey Club

Kirkheaton Jossey Club

The photo above is an enhanced version of the one below donated by the late Jeffrey Hey with names of members shown where known. He believed this was taken in an upstairs room at the Junction Inn on Town road (now named "The Cask") about 1930. We understand that the...

read more